This challenging & demanding task is accomplished by indefatigable and untiring efforts of Vice chancellor RMU, who in spite of having extremely busy schedule spared his valuable time and efforts for providing supervision and guidance to make this effort possible
The Rawalpindi Medical University (RMU)’s Certificate in Health Research (CHR) program is aimed at the development of health research capacity among health care professionals with the purpose to promote research in health academic institutions and the health care system. The development of research capacity is expected to equip the health professionals with knowledge and skills to practice evidence based practice and evidence based decision-making in health care, policy-making and management and public health interventions implementation. The program stresses upon hands-on training to develop knowledge and skills for research problems identification and prioritization, preparation of research project proposals and protocols, searching for literature, preparation of research plans and budgets, research reports and publications writing and reviewing of research proposals and publications.
AIM & OBJECTIVES
Aim of certified health research course is to create center of excellence for our faculty members by establishing intellectual foundation to promote critical thinking and practice evidence based medicine with the aspiration to improve clinical outcomes, population health and health care services delivery across the world beyond traditional medical care.
Promote innovation and research to improve overall health status of the community
· Develop a health research course tailored for Rawalpindi Medical University in joint collaboration of RMU and USW with aim of improving patient health and health care delivery system within country.
· Align collaborative learning and research outcome-based objectives according to the needs of society.
· Develop interdisciplinary research projects to foster overall learning.
· Develop innovative community health needs based research projects to attract research grants.
Develop institutional culture & infrastructure for long term sustainability and acceptability for research
· Invitation to eminent faculty members of University of South Wales to conduct sessions, lectures ,seminars, conferences and talks on our population health issues & challenges . Invitation to distinguished people from all walks of life and professions to build communities of practice and interdisciplinary connections to enrich research experience.
· Transform medical education with blended research curricula, e-learning technologies, contemporary infrastructure and community based learning by developing liaison with medical education, University Library, RSRS and IT Department for the arrangement of research methodology workshops, computer skills & on relevant software’s hands on training.
· Collaboration with other institutions to promote interdisciplinary research.
· Active involvement of all stake holders of Health research ethics, the institutional ethic Committee which should work in collaboration with other disciplines, including the nursing staff, representation from the student body (RSRS), editors of scientific publications and community representatives. Ethics circle should review proposed research work to develop recommendations from the Code of Ethics
· Establish the facility of virtual learning environment including e-learning modalities
Enhance the capability in performing quality research
· Develop the skill of data collection, analysis and interpret it scientifically
· Inculcate lifelong self-directed independent learning.
· Develop the skills in critical evaluation and synthesis of new information.
· Inspire the habit of practicing evidence-based medicine
Setting the standard of excellence in research among medical professionals
· Retain, support and attract the diverse pool of highly motivated faculty for mentorship
· Encouragement & facilitation of participation of faculty in research competitions, seminars, symposia and research outcomes publishing.
· Establish the reward system and annual appraisals
· Alliance with external faculties & institutions for participation and dissemination of scholarly work at national and international level
1. Develop fundamental concepts of research and philosophy of research
2. Design different types of research studies including descriptive, analytical and experimental studies
3. Apply of evidence in clinical practice, health management and implementation of public health interventions
4. Select appropriate statistical techniques for different types of research studies and hypothesis testing
5. Select and use appropriate computer software for data processing and analysis and communication of research results
6. Have advanced knowledge and critical understanding of types and uses of evidence in health care.
7. Apply evidence based medicine in clinical practice.
8. Understand the principles of systematic reviews and meta-analysis
9. Understand and apply principles of Good clinical practice
10. Understand plagiarism
The certified health research course is designed to be flexible and practice-led. A blended learning approach is taken (incorporating both classroom and online activities via VLE ) in line with the university’s learning and teaching strategy. Certificate course will be designed to be filled with activities, animations, and simulations to ensure that students get the most out of their experience. Students participate actively in each course through a variety of means, including online discussions, quizzes, and assignments.
The entire course spread over the 10credit hours, over the duration of six months followed by development of research project and on successful completion award of certification. Courses will be based on advanced levels in the selected topic/s and will provide an in-depth student-faculty interaction. Learning resources will include libraries (RMU, HEC etc), computer lab, and learning resource centers. The research work will be supervised by a Supervisor (must have demonstrate research capability through publications, especially being principal author of at least five research papers published in peer reviewed journals) and Co-Supervisors from related areas of expertise. Upon admission to program a Supervisor will help the student to equip with necessary knowledge and skills required to carry out different types of research.
The RMU Research Review Committee ,ORIC and ethical review committee will oversee the proper implementation of the program and monitor the progress courses, the research project.
· Diverse and renowned institutional , national and international faculty members with expertise in fields of research with conduct the course
· Rich inter-professional interaction and collaborative learning faculty from the Rawalpindi Medical University, Health services academy , Isra University , University of South Wales and participants from medical colleges in public and private sector of Pakistan.
· Educational philosophies and strategies related to research and their applications with emphasis on institutional needs.
The duration of the course will be six months with a total of ten (08) contact days, comprising of 2 days session after every 6 weeks interval . Attendance at these contact sessions will be mandatory.
In the intensive interactive sessions, assessment is through continuous observation of participation and contributions, individual and group assignments and presentations, and an end of course assessment.
1. Continuous Assessment (10%)
Active participation in individual and group work during contact session
2. Mid semester assessments (45%)
Assigned Individual home based task: 15% each (total =45%)
3. End of course assessment: 45 %
It will comprise of Portfolio assessment and viva based station & OSTE
Community Medicine Department
Rawalpindi Medical University Faculty
Prof. Dr. Syed Arshad Sabir
Dr. Sana Bilal
Dr. Afifa Kulsoom
Dr. Shaikh Abdul Rehman
Dr. Farhan Hasan
PhD faculty and Other Related
Professor Tayyeb Tahir
Dept. of Liaison
Professor Stephen Davies
Steve Davies <firstname.lastname@example.org
6 months, having contact session every 6-weeks,
each of two days at week end (total 8 days )
4 contact sessions each
Courses in Contact session-I
10 credit hours
MBBS/MD/BSc Nursing /Allied
All Health Professionals with at least a bachelor
Degree (Minimum 16 Years of Education). Minimum
Basic Qualification: MBBS, BDS, BSc (Allied Health Sciences) and BSc Nursing.ü Be fluent in English and competent in using
computer and internet
The available Admission form on the university website www.rmur.edu.pkshould be filled online and submitted. The course organizer will finally select the candidates after reviewing the application forms.
The candidates selected by the RMU management will submit the required copies of their academic qualifications along with admission fee as per following:
Applications will be submitted till 20th November, 2019 at 02:00pm in the office of Medical Education Department 3 rd Floor, RMU New Teaching Block Rawalpindi, and HFH along with Bank Draft from any scheduled Bank amounting to Rs. 1000 /- in the name of Vice Chancellor RMU Rawalpindi.
Fee Structure for Each Course (RMU Faculty) 10,000 PKR
Others 30,000 PKR