Rawalpindi Medical College Rawalpindi (Estd.1974) The College was established with Punjab Medical College and classes were initially started at University of Agriculture Faisalabad, in 1974. The college was shifted to the present site at Tipu Road, Rawalpindi, in November 1974, where all the basic departments were developed. The first principal of the college was Prof. M. Latif. In 2008, the new campus at Holy Family Hospital started functioning. At present, first and second year classes are held at Tipu Road (old campus) and third, fourth and final year at Holy Family Hospital Complex (new campus). The teaching hospitals attached to the college are the Holy Family Hospital, Benazir Bhutto Hospital and District Headquarters Hospital, Rawalpindi. These teaching hospitals provide 1278 beds for the patients. A new teaching hospital (650 beds) has been added to the existing facilities. The college has so far produced more than 7500 graduates. The students of RMC are referred to as Rawalians. There are about 1400 Rawalians working in UK, USA, Australia, Canada, South Africa, Gulf States and Far Eastern countries. The college started its Institute of Allied Health Sciences in November 2007 and classes of first batch of B.Sc (Honours) started in first week of February 2008. The purpose of the establishment of the institute was to produce quality Allied Health Professionals to provide quality care / diagnostic services in the field of Physiotherapy, Orthotics & Prosthetics, Optometry, Medical Imaging Technology & Medical Laboratory Technology. All the courses were affiliated with University of Health Sciences.
Institute of Allied Health Sciences is offering an unparalleled academic education as well as access to a wide spectrum of clinical experiences. The faculty of the Institute of Allied Health Sciences has outstanding scholars and clinicians. In addition, many of our faculty members are professional leaders who establish the trends that will affect trainees, their practices and the patients they will serve in the future.
In 2016 under the leadership of Prof. Dr. Muhammad Umar the college was converted in Rawalpindi Medical University (RMU). Aside from other medical courses in RMU it has its Institute Of Allied Health Sciences, working under the guidance of Prof. Samia Sarwar, Dean AHS.
The Teaching and training activities for the students of Allied Health Sciences will be in the following places depending on the course
- RMU Tipu Road Rawalpindi
- RMU New Teaching Block, H.F.H
- Holy Family Hospital
- Benazir Bhutto Hospital
- District Head Quarter Hospital