Family medicine is the medical discipline also known as a general practice, general medical practice, family practice, or primary care. It is a discipline which integrates several medical specialties into a new whole. It is concerned with the holistic approach to patient care in which the individual is seen in his totality and in the context of his family and community. The trainees in family medicine should be appropriately equipped to meet the contemporary and future health needs of individuals and families within their practice community. It is therefore indispensable to get acquisition with knowledge and skills in the major clinical disciplines with appropriate attitude essential to the practice of the specialty.
Family Medicine Practice consists of three Core Areas as depicted below:
Family Physicians should be competent enough to work in a multi-disciplinary context in co-operation with non-professional community health workers in order to respond effectively to the health needs of the population.
There is a need to produce a critical mass of family physicians to bring quality health care closer to the people. Family physicians will provide health maintenance/promotion, disease prevention, basic medical, surgical, paediatric, obstetric and gynecological care within the community.
The Candidates will be formatively assessed in this course.
Total 3 formative assessments will be carried out, each after every four modules.
This assessment will comprise of the following strategies:
- One correct MCQs / one best MCQs
On completion of certification in Family Medicine, the participants should be able to:
- Practice competently the field of Family Medicine at the levels of primary care, family care and institutional care
- Describe the principles of health promotion and disease prevention as integrated components of the general and complete healthcare system
- Practice family medicine with a prime focus on the needs of our patients
- Work in multi-disciplinary context in cooperation with non-professional community health workers in order to respond effectively to people’s healthcare needs
- Undertake diagnosis and initial management of all medical and surgical emergencies up to transportation of the patients to the hospital
- Apply the best part of their knowledge, advice and good communication skills
- Manage commonly occurring community / public health problems
- Refer the cases to secondary and tertiary healthcare facilities, recognizing the limitations of Primary Health Care (PHC)
- Provide leadership to the other health workers for effective service delivery
- Coordinate health care services and programs
- Manage health resources and institutions for efficient service delivery
- Prevent locally endemic diseases and promote health
- Provide evidence based management of the diseases
• Valid PM&DC Registration Certificate
Certificate Awarding Institute
Rawalpindi Medical University in collaboration with UHS
6 months, having contact session every alternate week. One contact session after every month will be for the assessment.
Saturday 8:00 Am to 2:00 PM
2 semesters each comprising of 6 modules
Pass percentage – 60%
6 modules in Semester-I
· Basic Principles of Family Medicine
· Infectious Diseases & Radiology Gastroenterology & Liver
· Musculo-skeletal & Dermatology
6 modules in Semester-II
· Neurology & Urology
· Endocrinology & Mental Health
· ENT & Eye
· General Clinical Skills & Emergency case Management
· Gynaecology / Obstetrics & Pathology
30 credit hours (total 90 contact hours)
Total contact days
Number of students per Batch
• Rawalpindi Medical University, New Teaching Block
• Holy Family Hospital, Rawalpindi
• Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi
• DHQ Teaching Hospital, Rawalpindi
• Reading assignments, LGIS, bedside teaching, demonstrations in skill lab, Case-Based Discussions, Video
Candidates will be assessed through formative assessment after every 4 modules.
Valid PM&DC Registration Certificate
To be announced soon